Our commitment to sustainability
Ortho has a longstanding commitment to enhancing its operations and building its product portfolio in a responsible manner that supports the environmental health of communities and the planet. As part of our more than 75-year legacy of pioneering some of the most important, life-impacting advances in in vitro diagnostics, protecting the environment and advancing sustainability goes hand-in-hand with our mission of improving lives.
Ortho focuses our environmental efforts on three key areas: reducing waste and energy consumption while generating clean energy at our global facilities; utilizing fuel efficient fleets; and incorporating environmentally-friendly practices into our product manufacturing and packaging. Ortho is also proud to be recognized as a leader in sustainability and environmental stewardship by leading organizations around the world.
Environmentally responsible operations at worldwide facilities
Water Consumption Reduction
- Water consumption has been reduced by over 20% from 2011 to 2015 at Ortho's Raritan, NJ (US) headquarters, conserving over 48 million gallons of water in total
- At our Rochester, NY (US) manufacturing facility, water consumption has been reduced by 21 million gallons per year over 2014-2015
Waste Reduction and Recycling
- There has been a 30% reduction in medical waste at the Raritan, NJ (US) campus since 2011, including 5% in 2015
- 70% of the Rochester, NY (US) manufacturing facility's non-hazardous waste and 85% of its hazardous waste was recycled in 2015
- Implementation of several recent projects at the Rochester, NY (US) site have resulted in the reduction of greater than 90 tons per year of non-hazardous waste to landfill
- Enhanced recycling within Manufacturing Operations at the Raritan, NJ (US) campus has resulted in the recycling of 26 additional tons of material
- Recent implementation of new biological waste treatment procedures at the Pencoed, Wales (EMEA) manufacturing facility will significantly reduce biological waste incineration levels in 2016 and beyond
Energy Conservation and Clean Energy Generation
- On-site solar panels at the Raritan, NJ (US) campus generated 2.1 million Kw/Hrs of clean energy in 2015. The panels generated 9.2% of the site's energy demand and enough to power 210,000 average homes
- Overall energy consumption at the Raritan, NJ (US) site was reduced 7% in 2015 due to energy efficient improvements
- Overall energy consumption at the Rochester, NY (US) manufacturing facility was reduced by 3.8% in 2015 due to energy efficient improvements
- Energy efficiency projects implemented at the Pencoed, Wales (EMEA) manufacturing facility from 2012-2015 have resulted in a 15% annual reduction in CO2 emissions, representing a CO2 reduction of 672,000 kgs
Environmentally responsible fleet management
The Fleet Management program for company vehicles continues to focus on fuel efficiency and safety. Fuel efficient vehicles are selected and carbon emissions are monitored. Notably, in 2015 the US vehicle fleet was comprised of 30% hybrid vehicles and Ortho's model selection requires vehicles with a 4 or 5 star safety rating.
We continually work to incorporate environmental improvements into our analyzers that reduce waste and eliminate water consumption.
Ortho continually investigates ways to use environmentally-friendly packaging for our products. Whether it is plastics, paperboard, or multi-layer films, the Company continually strives to identify "greener" alternatives and solutions. And while the Company always packages in ways that guarantees the safety of efficacy of its products, Ortho is also careful not to over-package.
Awards honoring Ortho Clinical Diagnostics' sustainability efforts
All Ortho manufacturing facilities have been certified to the ISO 14001 Environmental Management Standard since 2001.
The Raritan, NJ (US) site is recognized as an Environmental Stewardship Site by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection for its environmental stewardship and sustainability-related practices.
The Rochester, NY (US) site is one of 15 in the state certified as a charter member of the New York State Environmental Leaders program administered by the State Department of Environmental Conservation, which recognizes superior environmental performance.